Friday, March 4, 2016

Charcoal and orchids

The charcoal has spectacular properties for the culture of orchids.
In powder we can apply it to wounds (cut leaves, broken roots) for its)antiseptic properties.

In pieces , mixed with barks, it will protect the orchid of the decay and most of the fungal attacks!!
I know sone growers who use only some little pièces of charcoal in the pots of the seedlings, in this way the mortality is really reduced.
 
Better than charcoals sold in shops which is often treated, to be able to be used as ingredient of the substratum of orchids, it is better to "produce" your own charcoal!!
 
In my job I sometimes make fires and some days later, under the layer of ashes, I can collect pieces of charcoal.
 
 
 
 
 
Here they are, still covered of ashes, so I just have to wash them with water
 
                                     AVANT                                                   APRES

 
Then I reduce the bieg pièces in little pièces and I let them dry.
 
 
 
Now I can  sort out the various pieces according to their size
 


Here they are mixed with bark, ready to use!!
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Very very nice and knowledgeable blog. I learnt many things and thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete